True to his high-octane stage name, The Kid Daytona is an emcee who lives life in the fast lane. Just how fast is he, you may ask? Well, on his first Booth feature, the Bronx rapper bodies three different beats in the time it would take most emcees to blaze one. To be fair, mixtape cut The Body owes much of its white-knuckle feel to Ill Bomb‘s absolutely crazy boardwork—after a deceptively mellow beginning, his instrumental roars through the starting gate and doesn’t stop moving from there, swerving between dense videogame funk and minimalistic boom-bap before settling into a glittering, synth-heavy groove. Daytona hugs the curves, switching up his flow and subject matter to match the beatsmith’s every musical detour without breaking a sweat (he even raps a cappella on the back end). It’s pretty dizzying, but listeners with an open mind and a good pair of headphones will undoubtedly appreciate this cut’s creativity. Mick Boogie Presents: The Daytona 500 hits the ‘net May 5th, and on the 8th TKD will step into the Booth for an exclusive freestyle.
Written by richard on 04/30/09
Submit your Rating
Surf School Recordings
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Get Your Clothes Off ft. The Kid Daytona" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.