With 2009’s The Daytona 500, The Kid Daytona demonstrated precisely why Bob James’ Nautilus is one of the most-flipped records in hip-hop history, enlisting a stable of talented producers to craft beats entirely around samples from the classic cut. On the latest entry in his Freestyles series, the Bronx rhymesayer shows love to James’ other most famous track, teaming up with Booth-acclaimed beatsmith 6th Sense to flip Angela’s Theme (which Nick at Nite fanatics may recognize from the opening credits of late-70s/early-80s sitcom Taxi) into Angela’s Sister. Over the smooth-jazz giant’s laid-back keyboard/bass grooves, the freestyle series alumnus reflects upon his day-to-day hustle, his urban environment, his relationship with the Man Upstairs and his uncertainty about the future (”I’m seein’ time in fast-forward… Lord, will I be alive to grow gray and see old age?”). Those digging this introspective banger can keep it locked for further installments in Daytona’s online series, as well as picking up a copy of his sophomore street album, The Interlude II (released to the ‘net in December).
Written by richard on 02/2/12
Bronx phenom The Kid Daytona has come together with The DJBooth to release his highly-anticipated new project, Summer Games: The Kid With The Golden Pen.The mixtape sees Daytona showcasing his lyrical prowess, along with his...
Surf School Recordings
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Get Your Clothes Off ft. The Kid Daytona" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.