I can’t pinpoint exactly when or how this happened, between Rebirth and today, artists figured out how to combine hip-hop and modern rock without sounding like hot garbage. (There were rare exceptions, but let’s be real.) Some of the credit for this mysterious phenomenon undoubtedly goes to Cleveland beat crew The KickDrums, who have been working with an eclectic array of collaborators to bridge that gap for a minute now. Higher, the first leak off their forthcoming collaborative set with Nashville rhymesayer Dee Goodz, might be their most seamless hybrid to date. Featuring a guitar-driven instrumental backdrop, syncopated percussion and vocals that run the gamut from sung to flowed, this head-noddable smokers’ anthem is as easy to enjoy as it is difficult to categorize. Or have I got it twisted? You be the jury. Watch for The Higher EP, sponsored by Rocksmith Clothing, to drop digitally December 14.
Written by richard on 12/6/12
Kickdrums Muzik Ent., LLC
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Just A Game" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.