I can’t pinpoint exactly when or how this happened, between Rebirth and today, artists figured out how to combine hip-hop and modern rock without sounding like hot garbage. (There were rare exceptions, but let’s be real.) Some of the credit for this mysterious phenomenon undoubtedly goes to Cleveland beat crew The KickDrums, who have been working with an eclectic array of collaborators to bridge that gap for a minute now. Higher, the first leak off their forthcoming collaborative set with Nashville rhymesayer Dee Goodz, might be their most seamless hybrid to date. Featuring a guitar-driven instrumental backdrop, syncopated percussion and vocals that run the gamut from sung to flowed, this head-noddable smokers’ anthem is as easy to enjoy as it is difficult to categorize. Or have I got it twisted? You be the jury. Watch for The Higher EP, sponsored by Rocksmith Clothing, to drop digitally December 14.
Written by richard on 12/6/12
Submit your Rating
Kickdrums Muzik Ent., LLC
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Just A Game" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.