I can’t pinpoint exactly when or how this happened, between Rebirth and today, artists figured out how to combine hip-hop and modern rock without sounding like hot garbage. (There were rare exceptions, but let’s be real.) Some of the credit for this mysterious phenomenon undoubtedly goes to Cleveland beat crew The KickDrums, who have been working with an eclectic array of collaborators to bridge that gap for a minute now. Higher, the first leak off their forthcoming collaborative set with Nashville rhymesayer Dee Goodz, might be their most seamless hybrid to date. Featuring a guitar-driven instrumental backdrop, syncopated percussion and vocals that run the gamut from sung to flowed, this head-noddable smokers’ anthem is as easy to enjoy as it is difficult to categorize. Or have I got it twisted? You be the jury. Watch for The Higher EP, sponsored by Rocksmith Clothing, to drop digitally December 14.
Written by richard on 12/6/12
Submit your Rating
Kickdrums Muzik Ent., LLC
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Just A Game" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.