Don’t look now, but The Kickdrums are quietly becoming one of the more daring producers in the game. Well, actually, there’s really nothing quiet about them. In fact, as we heard on their previous release Want My Blood, the Cleveland duo seem physically addicted to volume. New release Thieves in the Choir, however, takes a much more mellow but no less creatively adventurous approach to blending hip-hop and rock. On this self-producer offering The Kickdrums seamlessly blend an echoing guitar line with a deep horn sample, giving the cut a relaxed but secretly menacing vibe, a vibe that’s echoed in distorted, lightly dark vocals and a haunting chorus. It’s exactly the type of cut that cries out for a verse from a rapper and L.A. fast riser Casey Veggies answers the call to action, revealing that despite some serious obstacles Veggies is as dedicated as ever to rising above the fray. Between this and Blood I couldn’t begin to guess what The Kickdrums upcoming mixtape, Follow the Leaders, will sound like when it drops, and that’s exactly why I’ll be sure to take a listen.
Written by Nathan S. on 03/8/12
Submit your Rating
Kickdrums Muzik Ent., LLC
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Just A Game" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.