Don’t look now, but The Kickdrums are quietly becoming one of the more daring producers in the game. Well, actually, there’s really nothing quiet about them. In fact, as we heard on their previous release Want My Blood, the Cleveland duo seem physically addicted to volume. New release Thieves in the Choir, however, takes a much more mellow but no less creatively adventurous approach to blending hip-hop and rock. On this self-producer offering The Kickdrums seamlessly blend an echoing guitar line with a deep horn sample, giving the cut a relaxed but secretly menacing vibe, a vibe that’s echoed in distorted, lightly dark vocals and a haunting chorus. It’s exactly the type of cut that cries out for a verse from a rapper and L.A. fast riser Casey Veggies answers the call to action, revealing that despite some serious obstacles Veggies is as dedicated as ever to rising above the fray. Between this and Blood I couldn’t begin to guess what The Kickdrums upcoming mixtape, Follow the Leaders, will sound like when it drops, and that’s exactly why I’ll be sure to take a listen.
Written by Nathan S. on 03/8/12
Kickdrums Muzik Ent., LLC
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Just A Game" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.