Though most currently associate the words “Odd Future” with the shock-rap stylings of frontman Tyler the Creator, the Los Angeles collective’s might be best remembered for pushing the R&B game forward. Like Frank Ocean before them, Syd the Kid and Matt Martian (together known by the Google-unfriendly moniker “The Internet”) come with an audacious aesthetic and a sound like little else out there. Don’t believe me? Just take a listen to their latest effort. One of three new singles released last week (another, They Say, has already been featured in the Booth), Cocaine is as narcotically hazy (though not quite as energetic) as its title would suggest. Over Martian’s hypnotically bouncing synth backdrop, Syd invites a special someone to do a line or two with her. Complete with a short-but-sweet guest verse by fellow OFWGKTA affiliate Left Brain, this left-of-center banger will undoubtedly leave fans of unconventional R&B sounds amped for The Internet’s yet-unscheduled debut album, Purple Naked Ladies. In the meantime, fans can peep the official video (which suggests the titular drug was a stand-in for forbidden pleasures of a different variety) by clicking here.
Written by richard on 11/7/11
Submit your Rating
Odd Future Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They Say" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.