On his first Booth feature, underground emcee The ILLZ voiced feelings of confusion and inner conflict that just about everyone has felt at one point or another. As Crazy as life can be, though, its opposite is even stranger, sadder, and more difficult to wrap one’s head around. On Heaven (Higher), a new single off his forthcoming The Pursuit EP, the Jersey emcee tackles one of the toughest emotional trials a person can go through: coping with the death of a loved one. Over an elegiac, downtempo beat sampled from electronic duo Weekend Players’ Higher Ground, ILLZ’ addresses fallen hip-hop artist D Mobb and his late father—though he mourns their loss, the artist knows they are looking down on him from a better place, and that he will be reunited with them when his time comes. ILLZ’ plainspoken lyrical style lends itself well to the tough subject matter, and his message is comforting. The Pursuit is coming soon—in the meantime, those who like what they’re hearing can find more heartfelt meditations on life, death, and everything in between on the artist’s This Is… EP, available for download here.
Listen to More: The ILLZ
Written by richard on 09/8/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.