You know what I like the most about The ILLZ, besides his always on point facial hair game? In an industry full of followers you never know what the man’s going to do next. I mean, his DJBooth freestyle was nuts, and his latest offering doesn’t just bend genres, it destroys them. Sonically, Faded improbably takes its production inspiration from British singer Beth Orton, flipping her folk cut All Seem to Weep into a darkly catchy hip-hop joint, and on the lyrical side of the equation, ILLZ opens his life up to us with a fearlessness and skill that has to be respected: “It hurts me, my moms, we don’t talk that much, don’t even get to tell her how I feel that rush, when I’m onstage.” His music may be faded, but something tells me ILLZ future is only going to get brighter. For more unpredictably dope hip-hop, be sure to check out his upcoming LP The Pursuit, due to hit our eardrums soon.
Listen to More: The ILLZ
Written by Nathan S. on 11/17/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.