“Life is Crazy,” is a sentiment just about everyone can relate to—just when you’re sure you’ve got it all figured out, something new will invariably come along and blow your comfortable routine to pieces. The Illz may not have any hard-and-fast answers, but he certainly can empathize; on this cut off his latest EP, the Jersey up-and-comer admits that he’s just as lost as anyone. Over his own chilled-out beat (sampled from L.A. trip-hop duo Bitter:Sweet‘s Bittersweet Faith), he spits the best advice he has to offer: be true to what you feel and pray, pray, pray. Illz’ rhymes here are more straightforward and lighter on the poetic imagery than some might expect from a reflective underground jam like this one, but the track’s combo of heart-on-sleeve lyricism and lush, tuneful boardwork is sure to win him fans among our regulars. Those digging this introspective cut can find more on Illz’ recently-released This Is… EP, the official prelude to aptly-named full-length What Comes After (due out September, 7th).
Written by richard on 08/18/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Heaven (Higher)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.