“HEY YOU GUYS!!!” Sorry, just thought I’d get the obligatory Goonies reference out of the way at the beginning, since it’d be a shame to undermine a poignant and insightful jam like The Gooneez’ Booth debut with lame catchphrases. A standout cut off the Southern Cali twosome’s newly-released street album, Too Strong is a celebration of triumph over hardship, with producer Mr. Kooman and backing band The Fratelleez cook up a bittersweet, electric guitar-laced backdrop for cousins Dre and Frank‘s resolutely real accounts of urban poverty. While the physical and psychological struggles they chronicle are legion, the duo state with pride and confidence that they’re too tenacious to buckle under pressure: “Plenty and many times I could break and just lose my mind / but I’m strong and I carry on, I can never let it define me.” Assisting on the guest tip, #Section80 wunderkind Kendrick Lamar laces the back with some characteristically complex, poetic motivational bars. Does this reflective banger leave you craving more? Then head on down to The Gooneez’ official page to download their freshly-released Anonymous LP.
Written by richard on 10/2/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Stars" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.