On Booth debut Too Strong, featured back in October of 2011, The Gooneez offered listeners a grueling glimpse into the poverty-stricken urban environment, expressing their confidence that they won’t buckle under pressure despite long odds against them. With new effort The Stars, the Southern Cali duo switch focus from their hardscrabble past and present to their bright future, grabbing a minimalistic, street-ready instrumental by J. Dilla (originally featured on The Roots’ Dilla Joints inclusion of the same title) to back their ambitious, pop-referential bars. Director Victor Klaus takes the record’s conceit literally, setting his official video atop Los Angeles’ Griffith Observatory. Like what you’re hearing? More awaits on Tattoos and Vans Shoes, the crew’s latest collaboration with backing band The Fratelleez. Released back in May, the project is available now for free digital download.
Written by richard on 09/16/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Too Strong" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.