On Booth debut Too Strong, featured back in October of 2011, The Gooneez offered listeners a grueling glimpse into the poverty-stricken urban environment, expressing their confidence that they won’t buckle under pressure despite long odds against them. With new effort The Stars, the Southern Cali duo switch focus from their hardscrabble past and present to their bright future, grabbing a minimalistic, street-ready instrumental by J. Dilla (originally featured on The Roots’ Dilla Joints inclusion of the same title) to back their ambitious, pop-referential bars. Director Victor Klaus takes the record’s conceit literally, setting his official video atop Los Angeles’ Griffith Observatory. Like what you’re hearing? More awaits on Tattoos and Vans Shoes, the crew’s latest collaboration with backing band The Fratelleez. Released back in May, the project is available now for free digital download.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Too Strong" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- King Mez - Long Live the King
- Freeway x Girl Talk - Broken Ankles EP
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.