On Booth debut Too Strong, featured back in October of 2011, The Gooneez offered listeners a grueling glimpse into the poverty-stricken urban environment, expressing their confidence that they won’t buckle under pressure despite long odds against them. With new effort The Stars, the Southern Cali duo switch focus from their hardscrabble past and present to their bright future, grabbing a minimalistic, street-ready instrumental by J. Dilla (originally featured on The Roots’ Dilla Joints inclusion of the same title) to back their ambitious, pop-referential bars. Director Victor Klaus takes the record’s conceit literally, setting his official video atop Los Angeles’ Griffith Observatory. Like what you’re hearing? More awaits on Tattoos and Vans Shoes, the crew’s latest collaboration with backing band The Fratelleez. Released back in May, the project is available now for free digital download.
Written by richard on 09/16/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Too Strong" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.