In 2008, Los Angeles Clippers star player Baron Davis and skateboarder-turned-director Stacy Peralta teamed up to release Crips and Bloods: Made In America, a documentary addressing gang activity in South Central Los Angeles. Now, Don Cannon and DJ Skee have been inspired by the film to create a new mixtape featuring the same region’s hottest hip-hop talents. On the newly-released Bang Along, The Game tells of his experiences as a young Compton Blood, describing not only the shootouts but also the summer nights spent picking up ladies, shooting hoops, and even buying ice cream sandwiches when the truck pulls up to the corner. Game’s heartfelt story receives a pitch-perfect instrumental accompaniment courtesy of Kanye West, who samples a line from Curtis Mayfield’s People Get Ready (the record’s title is actually a creative mishearing of “Thank the Lord”). If you like what you hear, stay on the lookout for Game’s fourth LP (yes, he has changed his mind about retiring), tentatively titled The R.E.D. Album.
Listen to More: Game
Written by Burmy on 05/11/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"On Bail ft. Game, Daz & T-Pain" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.