In 2008, Los Angeles Clippers star player Baron Davis and skateboarder-turned-director Stacy Peralta teamed up to release Crips and Bloods: Made In America, a documentary addressing gang activity in South Central Los Angeles. Now, Don Cannon and DJ Skee have been inspired by the film to create a new mixtape featuring the same region’s hottest hip-hop talents. On the newly-released Bang Along, The Game tells of his experiences as a young Compton Blood, describing not only the shootouts but also the summer nights spent picking up ladies, shooting hoops, and even buying ice cream sandwiches when the truck pulls up to the corner. Game’s heartfelt story receives a pitch-perfect instrumental accompaniment courtesy of Kanye West, who samples a line from Curtis Mayfield’s People Get Ready (the record’s title is actually a creative mishearing of “Thank the Lord”). If you like what you hear, stay on the lookout for Game’s fourth LP (yes, he has changed his mind about retiring), tentatively titled The R.E.D. Album.
Listen to More: Game
Written by Burmy on 05/11/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"On Bail ft. Game, Daz & T-Pain" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.