As Booth newcomers with a innovative, forward-looking take on alternative hip-hop, Bay Area emcees A. Wolf and Kristos and producer THX (whose lo-fi boardwork backed Custom Made‘s recent Booth debut) could hardly have picked a more appropriate collective stage name than The Freshmen. On this newly-released promo single, the twosome team up with fellow Cali emcee Nio the Gift to say “Hello There” to an alluring female, hoping to spark a little summer romance. Of course, a warm-weather cut like this one is nothing without a fittingly summery instrumental—THX’s flute/vibe/guitar throwback to sunny ‘60s pop fits the bill perfectly, and the whiplash-inducing breakbeat at its core brings out the best in all three emcees’ flows. The Freshmen may have only just begun their musical journey as a trio, but they couldn’t have picked a better introduction than Hello There; if they continue turning out catchy, feel-good (not to mention marketable) tracks like this one, these up-and-comers will have no trouble climbing to the top of their class.
Written by richard on 06/30/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.