As Booth newcomers with a innovative, forward-looking take on alternative hip-hop, Bay Area emcees A. Wolf and Kristos and producer THX (whose lo-fi boardwork backed Custom Made‘s recent Booth debut) could hardly have picked a more appropriate collective stage name than The Freshmen. On this newly-released promo single, the twosome team up with fellow Cali emcee Nio the Gift to say “Hello There” to an alluring female, hoping to spark a little summer romance. Of course, a warm-weather cut like this one is nothing without a fittingly summery instrumental—THX’s flute/vibe/guitar throwback to sunny ‘60s pop fits the bill perfectly, and the whiplash-inducing breakbeat at its core brings out the best in all three emcees’ flows. The Freshmen may have only just begun their musical journey as a trio, but they couldn’t have picked a better introduction than Hello There; if they continue turning out catchy, feel-good (not to mention marketable) tracks like this one, these up-and-comers will have no trouble climbing to the top of their class.
Written by richard on 06/30/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.