As Booth newcomers with a innovative, forward-looking take on alternative hip-hop, Bay Area emcees A. Wolf and Kristos and producer THX (whose lo-fi boardwork backed Custom Made‘s recent Booth debut) could hardly have picked a more appropriate collective stage name than The Freshmen. On this newly-released promo single, the twosome team up with fellow Cali emcee Nio the Gift to say “Hello There” to an alluring female, hoping to spark a little summer romance. Of course, a warm-weather cut like this one is nothing without a fittingly summery instrumental—THX’s flute/vibe/guitar throwback to sunny ‘60s pop fits the bill perfectly, and the whiplash-inducing breakbeat at its core brings out the best in all three emcees’ flows. The Freshmen may have only just begun their musical journey as a trio, but they couldn’t have picked a better introduction than Hello There; if they continue turning out catchy, feel-good (not to mention marketable) tracks like this one, these up-and-comers will have no trouble climbing to the top of their class.
Written by richard on 06/30/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.