As Booth newcomers with a innovative, forward-looking take on alternative hip-hop, Bay Area emcees A. Wolf and Kristos and producer THX (whose lo-fi boardwork backed Custom Made‘s recent Booth debut) could hardly have picked a more appropriate collective stage name than The Freshmen. On this newly-released promo single, the twosome team up with fellow Cali emcee Nio the Gift to say “Hello There” to an alluring female, hoping to spark a little summer romance. Of course, a warm-weather cut like this one is nothing without a fittingly summery instrumental—THX’s flute/vibe/guitar throwback to sunny ‘60s pop fits the bill perfectly, and the whiplash-inducing breakbeat at its core brings out the best in all three emcees’ flows. The Freshmen may have only just begun their musical journey as a trio, but they couldn’t have picked a better introduction than Hello There; if they continue turning out catchy, feel-good (not to mention marketable) tracks like this one, these up-and-comers will have no trouble climbing to the top of their class.
Written by richard on 06/30/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.