Loath as your typical rapper is to admit it, there’s not a man among them who hasn’t endured the excruciating experience of chatting up a fly female and receiving no response—just silence and Crickets. A. Wolf and Kristo of The Freshmen are painfully aware of the transcendent awkwardness of the situation, and on the latest single off their forthcoming album they let not-so-suave guys everywhere know that they’re not alone. Ironically, the corny lines the Cali crew deliver over Kristo’s summery boardwork (complete, of course, with sampled ‘chirp’s) aren’t all that different from the ones other emcees purport to use successfully; from the over-eager declarations of starry-eyed devotion (“I don’t believe in love at first sight, but after you maybe I might.”), to the insincere flattery (“These chicks hot, but you’re so much cooler.”), to the mock-poetic clichés (“I know this spot where the stars just peek in / If love is deep I’ll put both feet in.”). Allen I of The League Boys assists on the guest tip, delivering a hook that’s smoother than it has any right to be, given the record’s subject matter. Those digging this anti-players’ anthem should keep it locked for the latest on Beach Bum Billionaires, which as yet lacks a solid drop date.
Written by richard on 05/3/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.