In his review of The-Dream‘s newly-released free album, our very own Nathan S. praised the pop heavyweight for having a cinematic vision that’s all too rare in modern R&B. Sure enough, stand out Wedding Crasher finds Terius Nash offering his take on a classic filmic trope: the ex-lover’s melodramatic marriage-objection speech. On this heartbroken cut, an airy, handclap-infused synth beat sets the mood as Dream makes his last stand—unfortunately, he doesn’t do it quite according to protocol. Fueled by a little too much liquid courage (aka Patrón), Dream makes the fatal mistake of talking about other women: “I’m already on my third ring / These b*tches ain’t even on your level…” Not to mention admitting he’s been drinking, threatening to develop a cocaine addiction and generally wallowing in self-pity. While the story ends with Dream back at his place, drunk and defeated, I have a feeling the record will win the hearts of R&B-lovers in the Booth—or have I got it twisted? Whatever your opinion, more fresh tunes await on Dream’s acclaimed 1977 LP, available now online. In addition, fans can look forward to another free album leading up to the release of his Def Jam senior set, The Love, IV (Diary of a Mad Man), this winter.
Written by richard on 09/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Shawty Is A Ten" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.