Not content simply juggling the roles of singer, singerwriter and producer, The-Dream has added yet another skill to his repertoire: rapping. On TRON, the latest single off his fifth studio album, the Radio Killa sets out to prove that, contrary to popular belief, he “ain’t an R&B n*gga.” Rather than handling his own production, Terius Nash enlists a currently-uncredited outside beatsmith to craft this cut’s whip-ready backdrop, leaving him free to concentrate on rocking the mic. His braggadocious bars come filtered through a pitch-lowering studio effect—think H-Town Screw by way of a handheld voice changer. Time to weigh in, readers: should Dream kick rhymes more often, or stick to singing? Whatever your opinion, you can stay tuned to The DJBooth for the latest on IV Play, set to hit record stores and online retailers sometime this spring.
Radio Killa/Def Jam/IDJMG
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Shawty Is A Ten" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.