Not content simply juggling the roles of singer, singerwriter and producer, The-Dream has added yet another skill to his repertoire: rapping. On TRON, the latest single off his fifth studio album, the Radio Killa sets out to prove that, contrary to popular belief, he “ain’t an R&B n*gga.” Rather than handling his own production, Terius Nash enlists a currently-uncredited outside beatsmith to craft this cut’s whip-ready backdrop, leaving him free to concentrate on rocking the mic. His braggadocious bars come filtered through a pitch-lowering studio effect—think H-Town Screw by way of a handheld voice changer. Time to weigh in, readers: should Dream kick rhymes more often, or stick to singing? Whatever your opinion, you can stay tuned to The DJBooth for the latest on IV Play, set to hit record stores and online retailers sometime this spring.
Written by richard on 03/14/13
As an artist ages, they can become stuck in an ongoing battle with their fans. They want to change to stay relevant and explore new creative territory, their fans want more of the same music they first fell in love with....
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Shawty Is A Ten" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.