I always thought of The-Dream as more of a lover than a fighter but, as the Radio Killa’s always been quick to remind us, romance is never without its dark side. A far cry from epically freaky two-part single Body Work/F*ck My Brains Out, newly-leaked digital album inclusion Murderer finds Mr. Terius Nash grappling with the fatal consequences of a love gone wrong. It’s a theme worthy of a classic melodrama, and Dream takes an appropriately cinematic approach behind the boards, amping up the tension with ominous synth chords, delicate harp (?) notes and a pensive, martially-tinged percussion rhythm. Despite the decidedly dark instrumental vibe, his lightly-Autotuned vocals are as smooth and etheral as ever—even when he’s making cryptic threats (”I’m coming back to deliver deliverance.”), he delivers the lines as if he were whispering sweet nothings into his beloved’s ear. If this haunting selection is any indication, R&B/pop-lovers won’t want to miss the freshness in store on 1977, set to hit the ‘net for free download on the August 31. In addition, keep your browsers locked you-know-where for release details on Dream’s yet-unscheduled senior set, The Love, IV: Diary of a Madman.
Written by richard on 08/22/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Shawty Is A Ten" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.