I always thought of The-Dream as more of a lover than a fighter but, as the Radio Killa’s always been quick to remind us, romance is never without its dark side. A far cry from epically freaky two-part single Body Work/F*ck My Brains Out, newly-leaked digital album inclusion Murderer finds Mr. Terius Nash grappling with the fatal consequences of a love gone wrong. It’s a theme worthy of a classic melodrama, and Dream takes an appropriately cinematic approach behind the boards, amping up the tension with ominous synth chords, delicate harp (?) notes and a pensive, martially-tinged percussion rhythm. Despite the decidedly dark instrumental vibe, his lightly-Autotuned vocals are as smooth and etheral as ever—even when he’s making cryptic threats (”I’m coming back to deliver deliverance.”), he delivers the lines as if he were whispering sweet nothings into his beloved’s ear. If this haunting selection is any indication, R&B/pop-lovers won’t want to miss the freshness in store on 1977, set to hit the ‘net for free download on the August 31. In addition, keep your browsers locked you-know-where for release details on Dream’s yet-unscheduled senior set, The Love, IV: Diary of a Madman.
Radio Killa/Def Jam/IDJMG
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Shawty Is A Ten" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.