Former Def Jam artist and producer, The Dream, comes straight for your heartstrings and your mind in his new video, BLACK. It will give you goosebumps in a good way. In the wake of the Donald Sterling fiasco in the NBA, the always ugly issue of racism in this country has reared its head yet again on the public stage. However, The Dream wants to remind us that it’s not necessarily racism or Donald Sterling that we should be concerned about. The bigger picture screams classism and how being at a social, economic, and political disadvantage in a poor neighborhood can and will cause systematic inequalities. As bad as certain neighborhoods in Chicago are right now, there are hundreds of other cities that suffer from the same issues. While the video is a montage of injustices from around the world that no one should forget, lest they are repeated, The Dream sings about his personal story of maturation and becoming aware of the harsh truths around him. Let’s all take a moment to think about how we can make our world a place where “feeling black,” as The Dream interprets it, is purely a statement of pride and not shame.
Update: We have added the official visuals for the Capitol Records recording artist’s current single, BLACK.
Written by Bryan H on 07/2/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Shawty Is A Ten" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.