A shiny, yellow mineral commonly found in Peru, Spain and South Africa, pyrite earned the nickname “Fools Gold” for its superficial resemblance to the rarer metal. When it comes to The Dividends’ debut single of the same name, on the other hand, what you hear is what you get; it sounds like a dope record, and that’s precisely what it is. Crew member S1 draws heavily from reggae and dub on the production tip, crafting a wavy beat that perfectly complements singer Sarah Jaffe‘s smooth, yet sardonic vocal performance. This laid-back indie jam is hardly Raekwon‘s usual fare, but the Wu-Tang veteran’s high-rolling guest rhymes (and fake patois-laced ad-libs) sound surprisingly natural here. Interest piqued? More eclectic cuts await on the duo’s Far From Away LP, scheduled to drop at a yet-undetermined date in 2014.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.