A shiny, yellow mineral commonly found in Peru, Spain and South Africa, pyrite earned the nickname “Fools Gold” for its superficial resemblance to the rarer metal. When it comes to The Dividends’ debut single of the same name, on the other hand, what you hear is what you get; it sounds like a dope record, and that’s precisely what it is. Crew member S1 draws heavily from reggae and dub on the production tip, crafting a wavy beat that perfectly complements singer Sarah Jaffe‘s smooth, yet sardonic vocal performance. This laid-back indie jam is hardly Raekwon‘s usual fare, but the Wu-Tang veteran’s high-rolling guest rhymes (and fake patois-laced ad-libs) sound surprisingly natural here. Interest piqued? More eclectic cuts await on the duo’s Far From Away LP, scheduled to drop at a yet-undetermined date in 2014.
Written by richard on 12/12/13
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.