It’s your classic double-edged sword: with superhuman power comes equally gargantuan baggage. Take Sonny Shotz, DJ Mendoza and Mik Beatz of The Dean’s List, for example—the Boston trio possess mad skills, but the game takes such a profound toll on their respective psyches that they have to quarantine themselves in a Kryptonite Sanity Room (K.S.R.) to restore their equilibrium. But is the tendency to retreat from external stresses keeping them alive, or slowly killing them? On the crew’s latest promo single, Beatz’ emotionally-fraught synth-string/piano-loop boardwork sets the stage for a lyrical exploration of the isolation that comes with the artistic life, and the futility of trying to find inner peace through weed, liquor and currency: “All this money, in my sanity room, all this money is nothing at all…” Proof that The Dean’s List can do contemplative cuts as well as catchy pop records and thumping club bangers, K.R.S. is scheduled to hit the crew’s official site today for digital download. And, as always, keep it locked to the Booth for the latest from this talented threesome.
Written by richard on 08/29/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Ludacris ft. Miguel - Good Lovin’
- Lupe Fiasco ft. PJ - Mazinger
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (October 2014)
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.