It’s your classic double-edged sword: with superhuman power comes equally gargantuan baggage. Take Sonny Shotz, DJ Mendoza and Mik Beatz of The Dean’s List, for example—the Boston trio possess mad skills, but the game takes such a profound toll on their respective psyches that they have to quarantine themselves in a Kryptonite Sanity Room (K.S.R.) to restore their equilibrium. But is the tendency to retreat from external stresses keeping them alive, or slowly killing them? On the crew’s latest promo single, Beatz’ emotionally-fraught synth-string/piano-loop boardwork sets the stage for a lyrical exploration of the isolation that comes with the artistic life, and the futility of trying to find inner peace through weed, liquor and currency: “All this money, in my sanity room, all this money is nothing at all…” Proof that The Dean’s List can do contemplative cuts as well as catchy pop records and thumping club bangers, K.R.S. is scheduled to hit the crew’s official site today for digital download. And, as always, keep it locked to the Booth for the latest from this talented threesome.
Written by richard on 08/29/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)