It’s your classic double-edged sword: with superhuman power comes equally gargantuan baggage. Take Sonny Shotz, DJ Mendoza and Mik Beatz of The Dean’s List, for example—the Boston trio possess mad skills, but the game takes such a profound toll on their respective psyches that they have to quarantine themselves in a Kryptonite Sanity Room (K.S.R.) to restore their equilibrium. But is the tendency to retreat from external stresses keeping them alive, or slowly killing them? On the crew’s latest promo single, Beatz’ emotionally-fraught synth-string/piano-loop boardwork sets the stage for a lyrical exploration of the isolation that comes with the artistic life, and the futility of trying to find inner peace through weed, liquor and currency: “All this money, in my sanity room, all this money is nothing at all…” Proof that The Dean’s List can do contemplative cuts as well as catchy pop records and thumping club bangers, K.R.S. is scheduled to hit the crew’s official site today for digital download. And, as always, keep it locked to the Booth for the latest from this talented threesome.
Written by richard on 08/29/11
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.