It’s your classic double-edged sword: with superhuman power comes equally gargantuan baggage. Take Sonny Shotz, DJ Mendoza and Mik Beatz of The Dean’s List, for example—the Boston trio possess mad skills, but the game takes such a profound toll on their respective psyches that they have to quarantine themselves in a Kryptonite Sanity Room (K.S.R.) to restore their equilibrium. But is the tendency to retreat from external stresses keeping them alive, or slowly killing them? On the crew’s latest promo single, Beatz’ emotionally-fraught synth-string/piano-loop boardwork sets the stage for a lyrical exploration of the isolation that comes with the artistic life, and the futility of trying to find inner peace through weed, liquor and currency: “All this money, in my sanity room, all this money is nothing at all…” Proof that The Dean’s List can do contemplative cuts as well as catchy pop records and thumping club bangers, K.R.S. is scheduled to hit the crew’s official site today for digital download. And, as always, keep it locked to the Booth for the latest from this talented threesome.
Written by richard on 08/29/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.