Hollywood may not be quite as central in the music game as it is in the film industry, but there’s something about the image of an aspiring actor or (usually) actress waiting tables and hoping for their big break that keeps rappers writing songs about that much-vaunted neighborhood. On the second single off their forthcoming full-length (follow-up to the non-featured YOUTH), The Dean’s List become the latest in a long line of acts to pay tribute to the glitz, glamor and temptations of Tinseltown in song. Here, Mendoza and Mik Beatz’ lush, absurdly catchy, synth-brass boardwork sets an upbeat mood as emcee Sonny Shotz paints a lyrical portrait of life as a fly young individual on the come-up, packing his bars with vivid images of days on the grind and revelry-filled nights. Singer Dani Ummel, the crew’s collaborator on Caveman, ties the record together with an appropriately anthemic hook. Does this ambition-drenched banger leave you craving more? Then be sure to cop The Dean’s List’s latest album, Generation X, when it hits store shelves and online retailers April 3.
Written by richard on 03/15/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.