Hollywood may not be quite as central in the music game as it is in the film industry, but there’s something about the image of an aspiring actor or (usually) actress waiting tables and hoping for their big break that keeps rappers writing songs about that much-vaunted neighborhood. On the second single off their forthcoming full-length (follow-up to the non-featured YOUTH), The Dean’s List become the latest in a long line of acts to pay tribute to the glitz, glamor and temptations of Tinseltown in song. Here, Mendoza and Mik Beatz’ lush, absurdly catchy, synth-brass boardwork sets an upbeat mood as emcee Sonny Shotz paints a lyrical portrait of life as a fly young individual on the come-up, packing his bars with vivid images of days on the grind and revelry-filled nights. Singer Dani Ummel, the crew’s collaborator on Caveman, ties the record together with an appropriately anthemic hook. Does this ambition-drenched banger leave you craving more? Then be sure to cop The Dean’s List’s latest album, Generation X, when it hits store shelves and online retailers April 3.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.