Hollywood may not be quite as central in the music game as it is in the film industry, but there’s something about the image of an aspiring actor or (usually) actress waiting tables and hoping for their big break that keeps rappers writing songs about that much-vaunted neighborhood. On the second single off their forthcoming full-length (follow-up to the non-featured YOUTH), The Dean’s List become the latest in a long line of acts to pay tribute to the glitz, glamor and temptations of Tinseltown in song. Here, Mendoza and Mik Beatz’ lush, absurdly catchy, synth-brass boardwork sets an upbeat mood as emcee Sonny Shotz paints a lyrical portrait of life as a fly young individual on the come-up, packing his bars with vivid images of days on the grind and revelry-filled nights. Singer Dani Ummel, the crew’s collaborator on Caveman, ties the record together with an appropriately anthemic hook. Does this ambition-drenched banger leave you craving more? Then be sure to cop The Dean’s List’s latest album, Generation X, when it hits store shelves and online retailers April 3.
Written by richard on 03/15/12
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)