Hollywood may not be quite as central in the music game as it is in the film industry, but there’s something about the image of an aspiring actor or (usually) actress waiting tables and hoping for their big break that keeps rappers writing songs about that much-vaunted neighborhood. On the second single off their forthcoming full-length (follow-up to the non-featured YOUTH), The Dean’s List become the latest in a long line of acts to pay tribute to the glitz, glamor and temptations of Tinseltown in song. Here, Mendoza and Mik Beatz’ lush, absurdly catchy, synth-brass boardwork sets an upbeat mood as emcee Sonny Shotz paints a lyrical portrait of life as a fly young individual on the come-up, packing his bars with vivid images of days on the grind and revelry-filled nights. Singer Dani Ummel, the crew’s collaborator on Caveman, ties the record together with an appropriately anthemic hook. Does this ambition-drenched banger leave you craving more? Then be sure to cop The Dean’s List’s latest album, Generation X, when it hits store shelves and online retailers April 3.
Written by richard on 03/15/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.