When I prefaced my review of The Cranberry Show‘s first feature with the speculation that the Milwaukee duo’s sound might be as much of an acquired taste as their culinary namesake, I clearly underestimated the adventurousness of Booth readers’ palates. As it turned out, Traffic Lights left just about everyone craving another spoonful. Today, Young Focus and Arcane return with the world premiere of leak number two off their Booth-sponsored EP, a fresh cover/remix of Awolnation’s Sail. The Smash Boiz reprise their role behind the boards, flipping the rock/electronic group’s bluesy hit single into an ominous, hard-edged backdrop for some stress-relieving rhymes. While the twosome’s verses find them airing their frustrations with the music game and the ever-present haters, their quirky lyrical sensibility is still very much in evidence; who else would bust out a pun like, “You must be fresh out a penis ‘cause everything ain’t what it’s seemin’ (semen)” in the middle of an impassioned mic-therapy session? If you’re still hungry, more dopeness is right around the corner—The Cranberry Show’s Paranormal Karaoke LP, co-presented by DonutsandMilk.com, hits our mixtape page for free streaming/download this Tuesday, Feb. 1.
Written by richard on 01/29/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.