The Cool Kids are back with a swaggerific, speaker-busting, self-produced track off of their new EP, The Bake Sale (available today). DJBooth readers were first introduced to the Midwest’s Mikey Rocks and Chuck Inglish with their release of Black Mags, and the reception was enthusiastic to say the least. For those who felt the duo should get in work with the Neptunes, the Chicagoans’ screwed vocals, boom-pat kicks, and mixture of spoken and keyboard breaks on What Up Man showcases how The Cool Kids’ sound is so not N.E.R.D.-like. On the track, the kids explain how hard it is to maintain their cool on the daily, especially when the groceries are running low—but these guys make TV dinners, ice cream trucks and standing in the grocery store line look hip.
Listen to More: The Cool Kids Written by Erica L.
Green Label Sound
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Black Mags" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!