The Cool Kids are back with a swaggerific, speaker-busting, self-produced track off of their new EP, The Bake Sale (available today). DJBooth readers were first introduced to the Midwest’s Mikey Rocks and Chuck Inglish with their release of Black Mags, and the reception was enthusiastic to say the least. For those who felt the duo should get in work with the Neptunes, the Chicagoans’ screwed vocals, boom-pat kicks, and mixture of spoken and keyboard breaks on What Up Man showcases how The Cool Kids’ sound is so not N.E.R.D.-like. On the track, the kids explain how hard it is to maintain their cool on the daily, especially when the groceries are running low—but these guys make TV dinners, ice cream trucks and standing in the grocery store line look hip.
Listen to More: The Cool Kids
Written by Erica L. on 05/19/08
Green Label Sound
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Black Mags" (2007)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)