Though it’s been one hell of a wait, it’s looking like fans of The Cool Kids can expect an album before school’s back in session. Any LP dropping during the months of June, July or August is practically legally required to feature at least one potential summer anthem and, as you may have surmised from the title, Swimsuits is Chuck Inglish and Mikey Rocks’ entry into into the running. On this breezy banger, Inglish infuses his usual, minimal production blueprint with a little extra pop flavor, blending an upbeat break with synth flourishes and bumping bass as he and his partner-in-rhyme chronicle a day of warm-weather recreation in sunny Hawaii. After Chuck’s done lacing the opener with tantalizing descriptions of beachfront ambiance (“Cash bar only, no need for the Visas, and the bottle girls walkin’ round here in bikinis”), Rocks grabs the mic to recount a flirtatious encounter straight outta Master P’s Ice Cream Man video. No summer jam is complete without a fittingly smooth-n-mellow chorus; here Mayer Hawthorne does the honors, contributing his sun-kissed harmonies to the hook. Craving more? Then be sure to cop the Kids’ debut set, When Fish Ride Bicycles, when it hit digital outlets July 12, via Green Label Sound.
Written by richard on 06/21/11
Submit your Rating
Green Label Sound
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Black Mags" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.