We’ve already come a long way with The Cool Kids as they prepare to (finally) release their debut album. In February, it was still chilly enough for group members Chuck Inglish and Mikey Rocks to Bundle Up, a far cry from the attire they rocked on June release Swimsuits. And now, as the days turn from warm to really f**king hot, they’ve got nothing to do but cruise the streets of their city until they have to hit the Gas Station. While the production at first sounds like another trademark minimalistic, percussion heavy beat from Inglish it’s quickly layered with soul guitar lines and lush vocal harmonies, a sound that was perhaps influenced by the smooth riding style of UGK. Or maybe I’ve just got UGK on the brain after hearing Bun B open with a supremely cool, almost a cappella verse on the opening, followed by a slow paced verse from Sir Michael. If I can be allowed an interjection of personal opinion here, Gas Station might just be the best work from The Kids yet; if this doesn’t get you itching for the release of When Fish Ride Bicycles on July 12, I’m not sure anything will.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/4/11
Submit your Rating
Green Label Sound
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Black Mags" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.