First I’m Good, then Popular Demand (Popeyes) and now Doorman. I’m beginning to think the Clipse’s new swagger-esque sound is more than just a trend, it may just be the dominant sound of their new album. The latest leak of their highly anticipated, even more highly delayed album Till the Casket Drops, the centerpiece of Doorman is really the Neptunes’ electronically dense production, a beat that stutters across the track with a strange but dope combination of hard-laced horns and Spanish style horns. Lyrically Pusha T and Malice take a more South Beach approach to their lyrics, largely trading in their trademark criminally minded flow for some more diamonds and cash oriented verses (don’t worry, there’s still plenty of coke talk). There’s nothing to complain about here, I’m just not sure I like their new approach as much as their harder old school material. Will Till the Casket Drops deliver hardcore Clipse fans the grit they demand? We’ll have to wait until the album drops on December 8. Let the countdown begin.
Listen to More: Clipse
Written by Nathan S. on 11/10/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wamp Wamp (What It Do) ft. Slim Thug" (2006)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.