Many twenty-something males would be hesitant to pursue a romance with a women a decade their senior, but The Cataracs’ out-the-box-thinking clearly isn’t limited to the musical arena. Firm believers in Aaliyah’s dictum that “age ain’t nothing but a number, ,” Cyrano and Campa illuminate the special appeal of romance with an older chick on new single 77 88 (named after the lovers’ respective birth years). Over a leisurely, synth-soaked bubblegum-pop backdrop, the duo spit sung and rapped game to the woman in question, plying her with images of young love (“Let me bring you back to prom at your daddy’s house.”) and promises of technical assistance (“I know you’re mature, but I’m considerate, consider it / Computers are confusing and I’m very tech-literate.”). While I can’t help but think they’re underestimating the average 33-year-old’s digital savvy—and I’m not even touching the Bingo jokes—I’m going to have to defer to the Cataracs’ expertise on cross-generational macking. If you like what you’re hearing, keep it locked for release details on the duo’s yet-untitled fifth album, scheduled to drop sometime in 2012.
Written by richard on 07/31/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Club Love (The Yay Remix)" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)