I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve never been a big fan of Hershey’s Mr. Goodbar. It’s not bad or anything, but I’d choose a Milk Chocolate With Almonds over it any day of the week. Now the song Mr. Good Bar, off LL Cool J‘s Mama Said Knock You Out LP, is an entirely different story – the words “timeless classic” come to mind. Today, Black Serenade twosome (and solo Booth faves) The Black Sunn and 810 attempt the tough task of bringing that iconic cut into the ‘00s with a 2010 Remix, and… drumroll please… the result is, to my ears, a resounding success. Far from a by-the-numbers revamp, this update finds punnily-named producer Ion the Prize imitating the spirit rather than the sound of the original, serving up a soulfully brassy beat which the Baltimore rhymesayers proceed to lace with appropriately smooth, agile old school-informed game spitting. Does this remix leave you itching to hear more talented up-and-comers give their take on tracks off LL’s most classic LP? If so, you won’t want to miss the Kevin Nottingham-sponsored Mama Said Knock You Out remix album when it hits the ‘net on August 27.
Written by richard on 06/20/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.