I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve never been a big fan of Hershey’s Mr. Goodbar. It’s not bad or anything, but I’d choose a Milk Chocolate With Almonds over it any day of the week. Now the song Mr. Good Bar, off LL Cool J‘s Mama Said Knock You Out LP, is an entirely different story – the words “timeless classic” come to mind. Today, Black Serenade twosome (and solo Booth faves) The Black Sunn and 810 attempt the tough task of bringing that iconic cut into the ‘00s with a 2010 Remix, and… drumroll please… the result is, to my ears, a resounding success. Far from a by-the-numbers revamp, this update finds punnily-named producer Ion the Prize imitating the spirit rather than the sound of the original, serving up a soulfully brassy beat which the Baltimore rhymesayers proceed to lace with appropriately smooth, agile old school-informed game spitting. Does this remix leave you itching to hear more talented up-and-comers give their take on tracks off LL’s most classic LP? If so, you won’t want to miss the Kevin Nottingham-sponsored Mama Said Knock You Out remix album when it hits the ‘net on August 27.
Written by richard on 06/20/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.