Last we heard from The Black Sunn, the underground luminary was expressing his lasting love for the music on Hip-Hop’s Lament – a cut which, despite the the title, was decidedly optimistic in tone. A few months shy of a year later, he’s rejoined forces with B-more compatriot 810 (himself not featured since last June’s Sunn-assisted Mr. Goodbar (2010)) to accentuate the positive once again. On DMV (Everyone Knows), making its world premiere in the Booth, beatsmith Mydus flips a radiant soul sample as the duo (both freestyle series alumni) preach a message of peace and unity against those who’d rather sow the seeds of discord than give Charm City its proper respect. The conciliatory message, of course, doesn’t stop them delivering lyrical flames – on the contrary, their verses come packed with blistering turns of phrase (“While you’re acting loyalist with your royal fist, n*ggas pullin’ triggers soakin’ blood in the soil.”) and allusive one-liners. Craving more? You’re in luck: DMV is just the beginning of the freshness in store on 810 and Sunn’s forthcoming, Booth-sponsored United Division EP, set to hit our mixtape page in late summer.
Written by richard on 04/17/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.