While we’ve heard plenty of rapper Sean Boog lately (Phantom of the Jamla), and no shortage of producer Khrysis lately (King’s Khrysis), the two haven’t made an appearance on our pages together as The Away Team since 2008’s Sum of Me. Thankfully it doesn’t take more than 15 seconds of their new title track Scars & Stripes for us to hear the duo haven’t lost a step. Behind the boards Khrysis delivers the kind of smoothed out boom bap beat we’ve come to expect from the man, although this one in particular had me in a particularly ‘90s frame of mind. Coming through on the mic is Boog, who once again puts his unique blend of no-holds-barred rhymes and witty, off-kilter reference on display. (I’m just saying, I don’t think there are many emcees shouting out Sam Kinison). In other words, this is some seriously dope hip-hop that doesn’t take itself too seriously. For more classic-hip-hop-meets-2011 music be sure to check out The Away Team’s fifth studio album Scars & Stripes when it drops on October 11 via Jamla/IWWMG/Duck Down Music. Salute.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/23/11
Submit your Rating
Jamla/IWWMG/Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sum of Me ft. Evidence" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.