Throughout his career, The Alchemist has made a habit of reaching out to the underground—whether releasing rare tracks on vinyl or taking up-and-coming artists under his wing, he’s kept his ear towards the streets while building a reputation as one of hip-hop’s most elite beatsmiths. On That’ll Work, the latest street single off Alchemist’s forthcoming Chemical Warfare LP (out July 7th), the West Coast vet keeps his production on the minimal side, accenting a minor-key synth arpeggio with occasional stabs of bass. The headliner is first on the mic, employing a stiff vocal delivery that sounds almost quantized to the beat. The flow loosens up a bit with Juvenile’s verse, but the highlight of the track is definitely Three 6 Mafia’s contribution—they bring a much more relaxed feel to the track, while maintaining a strong rhythm in their delivery. New listeners would be better off checking out a couple of Alchemist’s previous singles, such as the excellent Lose Your Life, but this one will most certainly work for the emcee/producer’s hardcore fans—and, after all, that’s who he’s doing it for.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Key To The City ft. Prodigy & Nina Sky" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.