Throughout his career, The Alchemist has made a habit of reaching out to the underground—whether releasing rare tracks on vinyl or taking up-and-coming artists under his wing, he’s kept his ear towards the streets while building a reputation as one of hip-hop’s most elite beatsmiths. On That’ll Work, the latest street single off Alchemist’s forthcoming Chemical Warfare LP (out July 7th), the West Coast vet keeps his production on the minimal side, accenting a minor-key synth arpeggio with occasional stabs of bass. The headliner is first on the mic, employing a stiff vocal delivery that sounds almost quantized to the beat. The flow loosens up a bit with Juvenile’s verse, but the highlight of the track is definitely Three 6 Mafia’s contribution—they bring a much more relaxed feel to the track, while maintaining a strong rhythm in their delivery. New listeners would be better off checking out a couple of Alchemist’s previous singles, such as the excellent Lose Your Life, but this one will most certainly work for the emcee/producer’s hardcore fans—and, after all, that’s who he’s doing it for.
Written by Dr. D on 05/31/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Key To The City ft. Prodigy & Nina Sky" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.