Throughout his career, The Alchemist has made a habit of reaching out to the underground—whether releasing rare tracks on vinyl or taking up-and-coming artists under his wing, he’s kept his ear towards the streets while building a reputation as one of hip-hop’s most elite beatsmiths. On That’ll Work, the latest street single off Alchemist’s forthcoming Chemical Warfare LP (out July 7th), the West Coast vet keeps his production on the minimal side, accenting a minor-key synth arpeggio with occasional stabs of bass. The headliner is first on the mic, employing a stiff vocal delivery that sounds almost quantized to the beat. The flow loosens up a bit with Juvenile’s verse, but the highlight of the track is definitely Three 6 Mafia’s contribution—they bring a much more relaxed feel to the track, while maintaining a strong rhythm in their delivery. New listeners would be better off checking out a couple of Alchemist’s previous singles, such as the excellent Lose Your Life, but this one will most certainly work for the emcee/producer’s hardcore fans—and, after all, that’s who he’s doing it for.
Written by Dr. D on 05/31/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Key To The City ft. Prodigy & Nina Sky" (2007)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)