Throughout his career, The Alchemist has made a habit of reaching out to the underground—whether releasing rare tracks on vinyl or taking up-and-coming artists under his wing, he’s kept his ear towards the streets while building a reputation as one of hip-hop’s most elite beatsmiths. On That’ll Work, the latest street single off Alchemist’s forthcoming Chemical Warfare LP (out July 7th), the West Coast vet keeps his production on the minimal side, accenting a minor-key synth arpeggio with occasional stabs of bass. The headliner is first on the mic, employing a stiff vocal delivery that sounds almost quantized to the beat. The flow loosens up a bit with Juvenile’s verse, but the highlight of the track is definitely Three 6 Mafia’s contribution—they bring a much more relaxed feel to the track, while maintaining a strong rhythm in their delivery. New listeners would be better off checking out a couple of Alchemist’s previous singles, such as the excellent Lose Your Life, but this one will most certainly work for the emcee/producer’s hardcore fans—and, after all, that’s who he’s doing it for.
Written by Dr. D on 05/31/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Key To The City ft. Prodigy & Nina Sky" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.