Many big-name artists will tell you that fame is both a blessing and a curse. While everyone wants to be a star, the pressures of celebrity often lead to self-doubt and internal conflict – fortunately, disillusionment with life in the limelight is great songwriting material (just ask Kanye). On his new single, Smile, rapper/producer The Alchemist provides a melancholy organ accompaniment to his musings on celebrity as well as those of guest contributor Twista, whose mid-verse shift into hyperspeed is one of the record’s high points. Neo-soul veteran Maxwell delivers the emotional goods on his hook, accompanying his own vocals in teary-eyed falsetto. Chemical Warfare, the long-awaited follow-up to Alchemist’s 2004 debut, 1st Infantry, will be released via E1 Music (formerly known as Koch Records) in April of this year.
Written by richard on 02/1/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Key To The City ft. Prodigy & Nina Sky" (2007)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)