Many big-name artists will tell you that fame is both a blessing and a curse. While everyone wants to be a star, the pressures of celebrity often lead to self-doubt and internal conflict – fortunately, disillusionment with life in the limelight is great songwriting material (just ask Kanye). On his new single, Smile, rapper/producer The Alchemist provides a melancholy organ accompaniment to his musings on celebrity as well as those of guest contributor Twista, whose mid-verse shift into hyperspeed is one of the record’s high points. Neo-soul veteran Maxwell delivers the emotional goods on his hook, accompanying his own vocals in teary-eyed falsetto. Chemical Warfare, the long-awaited follow-up to Alchemist’s 2004 debut, 1st Infantry, will be released via E1 Music (formerly known as Koch Records) in April of this year.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Key To The City ft. Prodigy & Nina Sky" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.