You know who we haven’t heard from in a minute? DMV repper Thad Reid. You know who we haven’t heard from in a really long minute? Soul songstress-turned-tabloid staple Amy Winehouse. Today, the former returns with a fond reminder of the latter. On new single Unholy War, producer J. Clyde flips a slowed-down sample of Winehouse’s single of the same name into a gritty beat reminiscent of vintage Wu-Tang as the Blue Collar Muzik emcee (and freestyle series contributor) expands upon the source material’s love/war themes. In emotionally-charged verses, the artist addresses a special girl, thanking her for sustaining him through the long and bloody war that is his grind, and assuring her that, “If the military gave me all the pension in the world, I would never go to war…” The sentiment is sure to strike a chord with anyone whose personal hustle has separated them from their nearest and dearest –and the song itself should please anyone with a taste for gritty beats and heartfelt rhymes. Those digging it can look forward to more Unadulterated Reid on the artist’s latest full-length, coming this summer.
Written by richard on 05/1/11
Submit your Rating
Blue Collar Muzik
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Can't Live Without You (Functional Addict 2)" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.