You know who we haven’t heard from in a minute? DMV repper Thad Reid. You know who we haven’t heard from in a really long minute? Soul songstress-turned-tabloid staple Amy Winehouse. Today, the former returns with a fond reminder of the latter. On new single Unholy War, producer J. Clyde flips a slowed-down sample of Winehouse’s single of the same name into a gritty beat reminiscent of vintage Wu-Tang as the Blue Collar Muzik emcee (and freestyle series contributor) expands upon the source material’s love/war themes. In emotionally-charged verses, the artist addresses a special girl, thanking her for sustaining him through the long and bloody war that is his grind, and assuring her that, “If the military gave me all the pension in the world, I would never go to war…” The sentiment is sure to strike a chord with anyone whose personal hustle has separated them from their nearest and dearest –and the song itself should please anyone with a taste for gritty beats and heartfelt rhymes. Those digging it can look forward to more Unadulterated Reid on the artist’s latest full-length, coming this summer.
Blue Collar Muzik
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Can't Live Without You (Functional Addict 2)" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.