Thad Reid is as Blue Collar as they come but, in the “everyday struggle” that characterizes today’s economic climate, making even a modest living requires a laserlike focus on that paper. On Ownma Mind, the latest release off his forthcoming, Booth-sponsored street album, the Virginia rhymesayer gives us the lowdown on his struggle to survive in a competitive, often downright treacherous music game. Antagonist keeps it old-school on the production tip, layering a chopped bass-piano loop over classic boom-bap percussion, and Reid comes with no-nonsense lyricism to match. Explaining the pragmatic attitude he brings to his pursuit of the Almighty Dollar, the freestyle series alum spits, “I’m about the cheddar to a certain extent / F*ck it, I’m bout the money, I’m in D.C., capitalistic / Every day I think about if I should quit and I risk it, in the water with the sharks’ resistance…” A gritty selection sure to strike a chord with anyone on their grind—particularly those whose hustle happens to be hip-hop-related—this is just one of many fresh, relatable cuts to be found on Reid’s Time Flys LP, set to hit our mixtape page for free streaming and download January 17.
Blue Collar Muzik
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Can't Live Without You (Functional Addict 2)" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.