Thad Reid is as Blue Collar as they come but, in the “everyday struggle” that characterizes today’s economic climate, making even a modest living requires a laserlike focus on that paper. On Ownma Mind, the latest release off his forthcoming, Booth-sponsored street album, the Virginia rhymesayer gives us the lowdown on his struggle to survive in a competitive, often downright treacherous music game. Antagonist keeps it old-school on the production tip, layering a chopped bass-piano loop over classic boom-bap percussion, and Reid comes with no-nonsense lyricism to match. Explaining the pragmatic attitude he brings to his pursuit of the Almighty Dollar, the freestyle series alum spits, “I’m about the cheddar to a certain extent / F*ck it, I’m bout the money, I’m in D.C., capitalistic / Every day I think about if I should quit and I risk it, in the water with the sharks’ resistance…” A gritty selection sure to strike a chord with anyone on their grind—particularly those whose hustle happens to be hip-hop-related—this is just one of many fresh, relatable cuts to be found on Reid’s Time Flys LP, set to hit our mixtape page for free streaming and download January 17.
Written by richard on 12/13/11
Blue Collar Muzik
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Can't Live Without You (Functional Addict 2)" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.