Thad Reid is as Blue Collar as they come but, in the “everyday struggle” that characterizes today’s economic climate, making even a modest living requires a laserlike focus on that paper. On Ownma Mind, the latest release off his forthcoming, Booth-sponsored street album, the Virginia rhymesayer gives us the lowdown on his struggle to survive in a competitive, often downright treacherous music game. Antagonist keeps it old-school on the production tip, layering a chopped bass-piano loop over classic boom-bap percussion, and Reid comes with no-nonsense lyricism to match. Explaining the pragmatic attitude he brings to his pursuit of the Almighty Dollar, the freestyle series alum spits, “I’m about the cheddar to a certain extent / F*ck it, I’m bout the money, I’m in D.C., capitalistic / Every day I think about if I should quit and I risk it, in the water with the sharks’ resistance…” A gritty selection sure to strike a chord with anyone on their grind—particularly those whose hustle happens to be hip-hop-related—this is just one of many fresh, relatable cuts to be found on Reid’s Time Flys LP, set to hit our mixtape page for free streaming and download January 17.
Written by richard on 12/13/11
Submit your Rating
Blue Collar Muzik
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Can't Live Without You (Functional Addict 2)" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.