With the first installment of his Paid Time Off EP/online series, Blue Collar/For the People emcee Thad Reid set out to put the populism back into popular music with a track expressing the relief all us working stiffs feel upon reaching the 15th and 30th of each month. Now that all of our readers (at least the ones lucky enough to be employed) are enjoying their paychecks, it’s time for another miniature musical vacation courtesy of the man who brought us Watertight Flow. This time around, the Virginia emcee’s teamed up with two fellow DMV rappers to pay tribute to “small town n*ggas… with big-city swag,” aka Life Soldiers, on their grind across the globe. L.A.-based producer Auditory Beats’ thundrous instrumental, fueled by tension-fraught strings and brass fanfare, sets the mood for Reid’s hard-hitting rhymes, as well as some equally aggressive guest bars from Booth newcomers Flip and K-Beta. To paraphrase Reid himself, this record’s guaranteed to get you out of your seat and motivated to make it happen. If this two-fisted motivational jam’s got you amped up, be sure to tune in for the next Paid Time Off installment—Cruzin‘s set to cruise into the Booth on the 15th.
Written by richard on 07/2/09
Submit your Rating
Blue Collar Muzik
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Can't Live Without You (Functional Addict 2)" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.