If you’re an up-and-coming rapper desperate for a leg-up, don’t go running to Terrace Martin for help. In fact, you probably shouldn’t even listen to the veteran rapper/producer’s latest record – it might hit a little close to home. If you don’t happen to be one of the “Thirsty-ass n*ggas” in question, though, you’re sure to enjoy the lyrical portrait of moocher-dom that he, with a little help from Cali buzzmaker Kendrick Lamar and G.O.O.D. Music representative Cyhi Da Prynce, paints on this forthcoming Locke High 2 mixtape inclusion. Flowing over Martin’s blissfully head-noddable boardwork (sampled from Stevie Wonder’s Rocket Love), the collaborators express their exasperation with lames’ relentless demands; whether they’re looking for beats and guest verses, introductions to movers-and-shakers, or just a couple bucks, they always seem to have their hand out. Those digging this joint’s satirical edge can look forward to more hot beats and witty rhymes on Terrace Martin and Devi Dev‘s intriguingly-titled The Sex EP. Those who recognize themselves in the record’s lyrics, on the other hand, are cordially invited to… stop it. Seriously. To quote the headliner, “Nobody owes you sh*t.”
Written by richard on 01/5/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I'm Toe Up (Remix) ft. DJ Quik, Kurupt, Terrace Martin..." (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.