Artists are always changing their roles. Eminem and T.I. have both ventured into producing records, while beatsmiths like Timbaland and Dr. Dre went from producing to rapping. But then you have a rare third group who seem to handle both crafts with ease, like Terrace Martin. Ever since the start of his career, the L.A.-based artist has been comfortable behind the boards and in front of the mic. Today, he once again demonstrates his musical versatility on Roll Up, a soulful and laid-back record that offers the kind of jazzy melody guaranteed to make you feel like the clock is stuck at 4:20. Speaking of which, both Terrace and consummate blazer Wiz Khalifa handle the verses, delivering yet another ode to their favorite past time, while the aptly named Overdoz gives us a catchy melody to get lifted with. So how about it Booth? Is this one lighting you up? (Figuratively speaking, of course.) Roll Up is set to appear on Terrace’s upcoming album, Here, My Dear, due out September 28, and inspired by Marvin Gaye’s classic album of the same name.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 09/9/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I'm Toe Up (Remix) ft. DJ Quik, Kurupt, Terrace Martin..." (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)