The end of a relationship is never fun and rarely ends well, which is why most break-up songs usually have vengeful undertones or morose lyrics. DJBooth newcomer teewhy’s last break up, however, seems to have ended on good terms, considering the positive, reflective vibes emitted from new record Beautiful on Fire. The Canadian emcee spits atop a breezy instrumental from acclaimed producer Ratatat, which sounds like a mix between carnival music and the Rugrats theme song, helping to drive home the positive vibes. Though the production is not exclusive to the record, it does sound as though it was made just for teewhy. This is mostly thanks to the artist’s personable, charismatic flow, which is used to hammer home a sentimental and nostalgic angle. If you’re in search of more approachable hip-hop, check out tee’s recently released Cyril Sneer mixape.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view teewhy’s Mark MacDonald-directed Beautiful On Fire visual.
Written by Lucas G. on 09/13/13
Member Reviews and Ratings
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.