When I hit play on a record titled “Godzilla,” I expect something heavy and aggressive, possibly featuring a sample from Blue Oyster Cult’s classic jam by the same name. I most certainly don’t expect something light, airy and retro-informed like Taylor Thrash‘s latest feature—but I can’t say I’m not pleasantly surprised. DJ Cam Quartet‘s Rebirth of Cool, a breezy instrumental perfect for a headphone session on a late-summer afternoon, backs the Dallas representative as he showcases his finely honed game-spitting abilities and harks back to his less-smooth years as an adolescent striver. Like what you’re hearing? More slick rhymes and refreshing beats await on the artist’s Welcome to the Future tape, out now online.
Written by richard on 08/29/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.