Rocking the mic takes moxie to start with, but to make your Booth debut atop a beat from two full-fledged legends? That would require some pretty big cojones. Good thing newcomer TARO has them in spades… or big ones, rather. On Let the Dollar Circulate, the Manhattan-based emcee steps to the mic to spit over a beat by none other than J. Dilla and 9th Wonder. A bold move, yes, but the artist’s impressive flow and exceptional wordplay would get a thumbs-up from both beatsmiths. As the soulful beat rides, TARO showcases a seriously acrobatic flow. Though his clever bars are full of tongue twisters, TARO does not falter; he is surgical and crisp with his delivery. The record is even more impressive considering he raps for five straight minutes. No hook—just a hungry emcee doing his thing. Keep it locked to The DJBooth for more from TARO soon.
Written by Lucas G. on 11/20/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Something Happened" (2014)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.