Von Pea, Ilyad and Donwill of Tanya Morgan know that, in order to pay the bills, they’re going to have to play the game, but that doesn’t mean they’re always happy about it—as shown on XV‘s Something Better, they are keenly aware that that success always has a price. The newly-released So Damn Down finds the group once again juxtaposing a pretty facade with the sometimes-ugly truth—though they’re undeniably down as in “with it,” the endless grind can, at times, get them down in the “blue” sense. Since the group’s forthcoming third LP (set to drop May 14th) centers on a fictional city called Brooklynati, the architectural sweep of Von Pea’s lushly-sampled beat couldn’t be more appropriate, and when the instrumentation drops away to showcase the song’s synthesized bass line, it’s a little like suddenly seeing through to the girdwork skeleton that lies below the surface of a majestic skyline. For more on Tanya Morgan’s fictional city, check out the newly-launched Brooklynati Chamber of Commerce website.
Listen to More: Tanya Morgan Written by richard
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"How Low" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.