All of the summery music in the Booth today has got me thinking of one of my favorite warm-weather pastimes: playing the ponies at Canterbury Park, of course! Brooklyn threesome Tanya Morgan seem to have a similar idea, as Von Pea, Ilyad, and Donwill have titled the follow-up to lead single So Down by the same method that produces many of those inexplicable racehorse names—with Morgan Blu‘s impressive pedigree, you’d expect an old-school, lyrically-driven winner of a record, and you wouldn’t be disappointed; over Pea’s sunny, sampled instrumental, the trio team up with Cailfornia’s Blu to flow about love, blues, the rap game, and, well, just about everything else. All four emcees’ freewheeling verses are so densely packed I’d listen to Morgan Blu about a dozen more times to settle on a favorite—suffice it to say, the record is a buffet of memorable lines, and should have lyrical heads packing their bags for a trip to Brooklynati (due out next Tuesday, the 12th).
Written by richard on 05/3/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"How Low" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.