Is it just me, or has R&B been getting a little dark lately? Whether due to the influence of fresh blood like Frank Ocean and The Weeknd, a change in the tides, or some mysterious circumstances beyond my understanding, even your straightforward love/lust songs have begun to develop an ominous edge—and I have to say, I’m really digging it. On the title track off his Booth-hosted street album, Tank embraces the trend wholeheartedly, departing from the romantic themes of his past hits to offer listeners a glimpse into the Diary of a Mad Man. “The Composer handles production duties, layering synth arpeggios, reverb-drenched guitar riffs and ghostly backing vocals over a slow-burning rhythm section as the veteran crooner schools us on a few harsh truths (“I’m bout to spill the truth on these n*ggas, and I’m bound to lose a fan…”). How about it, readers—are you feeling the power of Tank’s words? If so, make sure to work a visit to The DJBooth into your Black Friday plans; Diary of a Mad Man is set to hit our mixtape page for free streaming and download on Friday, November 25.
Written by richard on 11/23/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.