According to some of the most current theories in physics, the world around us is made not of particles, but of strings, which vibrate somewhat like those on a guitar. To a scientific novice like myself, that sounds no more or less crazy than the alternate possibility Chi-town hip-hop collective Tall Tale Medicine Machine propose on their Booth debut: everything’s made of laces, like the ones on your kicks. New single Shoe String Theory finds crew leader Blacktop Megaphone and a 14-person live-band ensemble crafting a ramshackle, jazz-informed backdrop for bars by Denmark Vessey, the Motown emcee-producer who brought us Pose back in April 2011. When he’s not plumbing the depths of modern physics, Vessey opines on issues closer to home, from the ravages of urban poverty to his impeccable piff game. Tyler Berg of Sidewalk Chalk assists on drums. Has this left-of-center cut piqued your interest? More awaits on the Tall Tale Medicine Machine’s self-titled debut set, dropping independently on April 22.
Written by richard on 01/31/14
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.